What documents do we process?
- UK Certificates of Origin
- Invoices and packing lists
- Egyptian Certificates of Origin. These are processed using standard UK Certificate forms
- Any other commercial or legal documents required for international trade such as: Power of Attorney, Distributor Agreement, Health Certificate, Certificate of Free Sale, Trademark Certificate, Commercial Contract, Article of Association, Certificate of Incorporation etc.
Are there any specific requirements for commercial documentation?
- Commercial documents can only be processed if they have been originally signed, with a specimen signature on the company Formal Undertaking held by LCCI
- Any documents issued by UK Government, that do not bear a physical signature, will need to be countersigned by an authorised signatory of the company whose specimen signature is on the Formal Undertaking
- Please note that we can only certify or legalize original documents.
- Copies can also be processed, provided that they have been certified as “a true copy of the original document” by a Notary Public, Solicitor or an authorized signatory of the company whose signature is on the Formal Undertaking.
What processing options are available for my documents?
- Certification: documents are processed by LCCI usually within 24 hours (electronic or post) or while you wait (counter)
- Notarisation: document is endorsed by a Notary Public who will either affix a seal to the document or attach a cover letter to it
- Foreign and Commonwealth Office Apostille
- Legalisation: once the documents have been certified by LCCI, they can be taken to the embassy for legalisation. LCCI can take care of the whole process or, alternatively, the applicant can take documents to the embassy in person.
- Documents requiring Egyptian legalisation can only be submitted via LCCI.
Embassies will only legalise original documents bearing original wet stamps and signatures. Certificates of Origin issued online and requiring embassy legalisation must be submitted as “Chamber Printed”. These can also be prepared manually and submitted over the counter or by post. Invoices and other documents requiring embassy legalisation must be submitted manually over the counter or by post.
What documents do I need to supply as backup?
- Commercial Invoice and packing list
- If the goods are of foreign origin, we will also require commercial documentary proof such as a copy of the Certificate of Origin provided by the manufacturer, a Manufacturer’s Commercial Invoice or a Suppliers Declaration.
- If applying manually (counter or post), provide a cover letter specifying what needs to be done, payment (if applicable) and contact details in case of a query. Also, if the document (other than a CO) is to be Certified we will require an extra copy of the document. If the document is to be legalised we will require three copies of the document.
Please note that we are unable to make any photocopies for the customers.
How do I apply for a Certificate of Origin and other commercial documents?
- Complete a Formal Undertaking. Once this has been emailed to LCCI, you will be set up with an online certification system account. Formal Undertakings need to be renewed every 12 months.
Apply Electronically: Existing and new customers can log in via: www.tradecert.com/london
This is the quickest way of processing documents online. Documents are certified electronically by us and the client prints the document in their own office (please note that you will need to purchase a Blank Certificate of Origin from one of LCCI’s issuing offices below, either by posting a cheque or over the counter).
Documents processed using this method will contain electronic stamps and signatures.
Documents are printed by us and will contain original stamps and signatures. Documents are posted to the applicant unless we have been advised that they will be collected from the issuing office instead.
Apply in person, by courier or post:
- Purchase a blank UK Certificate of Origin from one of our issuing offices (by sending cheque payable to LCCI, or over the counter).
- Read our Guidance Notes and Frequently Asked Questions for instructions on how to complete the Certificate of Origin application
- Complete the Certificate using the excel template.
- Post completed documents to our issuing offices or apply over the counter
Please note that handwritten documents will not be processed.
Click on the links below to find out more:
Formal Undertaking London
Formal Undertaking Hounslow
Formal Undertaking Barking
How To Apply For EC Certificate Of Origin
Frequently Asked Questions
EC Certificate Of Origin Guidance Notes (brief)
EC Certificate Of Origin Guidance Notes (detailed)
Agent Authorisation Requirements
Indemnity Letter For Arab Destinations
EC Certificate Template for manual applications only