Friday 1 July 2015
London Chamber responds to Davies Airport recommendations
Commenting on Sir Howard Davies' recommendations for airport expansion in the South East, Colin Stanbridge, London Chamber of Commerce and Industry Chief Executive said: "We welcome the final report of the Airports Commission and its clear decision on Heathrow.
"The time for talk is now over. We urge Government not to kick this report into the long grass but give clear political leadership and move swiftly on expanding Heathrow.
"However Ministers should also be considering how to future-proof the UK economy. The Airports Commission has said that a new runway will provide the capacity the UK needs until 2040. Gatwick is a strategic economic asset to the UK and its post 2040 potential should be considered in governmental long term thinking.
"We must not lose sight of the fact that the UK faces an immediate challenge - with a new runway not operational until the mid-2020s, Ministers now need to enact short-term measures to boost capacity within the next decade.
Our latest polling revealed that London businesses favour a number of practical short-term options:
- improved rail links to Gatwick (27% of businesses favoured)
- increased early morning arrivals at Heathrow (22% of businesses favoured).
"Alongside these, London City Airport should be supported to play an important role in helping London connect with important cities and regions across Europe and beyond."
Jo Hooper, Press & Media Relations Manager
T: +44 (0)20 7203 1897
M: +44 (0)7827 241528
NOTES TO EDITOR:
- London Chamber of Commerce and Industry (LCCI) is the capital's largest and most representative business organisation, with members ranging in size from multi-national companies to SMEs and sole traders.
- ComRes interviewed 510 London business decision-makers online between 7th and 20th May 2015. Data has been weighted to be representative of London businesses by company size and broad industry sector.
- Colin Stanbridge is available for further comment and interview.