What is an ATA Carnet and why would my business need one?
The ATA Carnet is an international Customs document which allows the temporary importation of commercial samples, professional equipment or goods going to either a trade fair or exhibition to countries which are part of the ATA Carnet system. (Please refer to Frequently Asked Questions for a list of countries). Without an ATA Carnet it would be necessary to go through each country's customs procedures for the temporary admission of goods e.g. lodging a temporary import bond. The ATA Carnet simplifies the custom formalities by allowing a single document to be used for clearing goods through customs in the countries that are part of the ATA Carnet system.
An ATA Carnet is valid for one year and allows for movement of the goods shown on the Carnet as many times as required during the 12 months to any of the destinations applied for.
What is an EC/CPD/China - Taiwan Carnet?
This Carnet covers goods temporarily imported/exported between the UK and Taiwan. Other than a different colour code and A4 format to distinguish it from the ATA Carnet, the conditions for its use, the goods for which it can be used, and EC customs procedures are identical.
How much will it cost?
There are two factors that determine the cost of issuing a Carnet:
- London Chamber members (24hr service) £211.20
- London Chamber members (Express 2hr service) £422.40
- Non-members (24hr service) £351.60
- Non-members (Express 2hr service) £562.80
In all cases Carnet holders are required to provide a security which relates to the value of the goods being temporarily exported. This security is determined by the ATA Carnet Security Rate Chart and must be provided in one of the following ways:
- Banker's draft or cash
- Bank Guarantee. Banks that we can currently accept guarantees from are: Bank of Scotland plc, Barclays Bank plc, HSBC Bank plc, Lloyds Bank plc, TSB Bank plc, Santander UK plc, Standard Chartered Bank, The Royal Bank of Scotland plc
- Carnet Security Scheme (CSS) Guarantee - an in-house service allowing the Carnet user to arrange for the security to be provided without having to supply either Banker's Draft, cash or Bank Guarantee. Using CSS, a non-refundable, one off payment means we can provide you with a 'While You Wait' processing service and there is no 'freezing' of assets or funds.
Obtain a CSS security quote here
How do I apply for an ATA Carnet?
Our system will allow you to complete the application online and pay any applicable charges. Once issued, the Carnet can either be posted to you or it can be collected from the issuing office.
How do I apply for a Taiwan Carnet?
- Order blank forms to be completed by emailing email@example.com
- Download the EC/CPD/CHINA template and complete relevant boxes
- Email the template to firstname.lastname@example.org so that we can verify whether the application has been completed correctly.
- Once our approval has been received, print the information onto Carnet forms and post / deliver to London Chamber of Commerce and Industry, 33 Queen Street, London EC4R 1AP
- You must enclose the signed EC/CPD/CHINA Taiwan Application Form, payment for the issuing fee and security.
Click on the links below to find out more:
Carnet Guidance Notes
Frequently Asked Questions
ATA Carnet Security Rate Chart
EC/CPD/China Taiwan Application Form
EC/CPD/China Bank Guarantee Form (specific)
Letter Of Authority