History of LCCI
In 1782, plans were made for a Chamber of Commerce in the Cornhill part of the City of London. The proposed plan incorporated an information office for business and trade enterprises to use for "consultation, opinion, advice, information and assistance". A subscription rate of not less than three guineas, a significant sum at that time, was suggested for the service. It took, however, another ninety-nine years of discussion before London had a Chamber of Commerce of its own. Finally on 25 July 1881 London Chamber was established at Mansion House in the City of London with 130 members. A number of these firms or their successors still play a role in London Chamber today.
The aim of the newly formed body was to influence public opinion, the legislature and to effect reforms that individual companies would not be powerful enough to bring about. It was agreed by those founding fathers that London Chamber was to be a Chamber for the London Metropolis and not just for the City of London. It achieved maturity with considerable speed and membership grew to over 3000 by 1892. This was a remarkable achievement for an organisation in just one decade.
From its earliest days the London Chamber's prime role was:
- The development of international trade and the representation of the interests of the London trading community
- Assistance to members in resolving day-to-day trading problems
Chamber mergers in London
Over the years a number of London based chambers and business support organisations have merged with the London Chamber:
- Westminster Chamber on 20 October 1994
- Hammersmith and Fulham Chamber on 18 December 1997
- East London Chamber on 25 May 1999
- Docklands Business Club on 20 October 1999
- Croydon Chamber on 1 April 2003
- Ealing Chamber in 2004